DLO Musical Theatre welcomes newcomers as well as past participants. You do not need to be a member of DLO to audition for a show.
Audition dates, times, and other details will be posted on the Home page of this site. Bring a prepared vocal selection to auditions. An accompanist is provided.
Tips for a Successful Audition
Here are some important audition tips that can help the process be smooth and efficient, as well as fun:
- You will need to fill out our Audition Form which will ask you questions about your acting/dancing experience, which part(s) you are interested in, your musical ability, and any conflicts with rehearsals/performances. You may bring a completed form with you or fill one out before you audition.
- You will sing only about 32 measures (20-60 seconds) of your prepared song. Mark your sheet music ahead of time so that you can show it to the accompanist quickly. We may cut you off early. If we do, we promise it’s not because we don’t like you. We’re just moving things along quickly so that we can get to everyone.
- You may be asked to sing scales so we can assess your range.
- You will audition individually with your song, scales, and script-reading.
- You will be given scenes from the script to read, either individually or with others. There is no need to prepare a monologue or have anything memorized unless otherwise specified.
- Depending on the show and the role you are trying out for, you may have a dance audition (usually in groups). Make sure you bring/wear comfortable shoes for your dance audition.
- Attendance at rehearsals is very important. Most shows rehearse on Sundays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays. Come to auditions with a list of any conflicts. Put all this information on your audition form.
- Most of all, enjoy yourself and let your personality shine through. This is about fun and community!
- If necessary, there may be callbacks after auditions. If you don’t get a callback, it doesn’t mean you’re not getting the part you wanted. It just means we don’t need to see you again in order to cast the show.
- If you are not cast in the role(s) you are interested in you may be cast in an alternate role.
- The cast list will be posted on our website and Facebook page as soon as the casting committee makes its choices; we appreciate your patience with this process.
- There is usually a read-through and cast meeting within a few days after auditions.
Behind the Scenes
DLO Musical Theatre seeks drama directors, music directors, and choreographers. Write to Director Selection Committee, DLO Musical Theatre, P.O. Box 264, Danville, IL 61834-0264, or email us. Tell us in what show you are interested and in what capacity. Please attach a résumé.
DLO offers many opportunities for persons who want to join in the fun of community theatre but do not want to appear on stage. Perhaps you would enjoy helping with sets, costumes, lights, sound, or props. DLO also seeks ushers, producers, stage managers, rehearsal and show pianists, and orchestra members.
Even if you do not want to participate directly in show production, you can help in other ways. DLO needs assistance with grant applications, ticket sales, publicity, program ad sales, and many other administrative functions.
Let us know of your special skills and interests by emailing us or leaving a telephone message at (217) 431-1660. Persons who wish to work on sets, costumes, etc., for a particular production can also stop by at one of the scheduled audition times and sign up.