Dad’s an architect; Mom rushes to pack lunches and pour cereal; their daughter and son are bright, wise-cracking teens, appearing to be a typical American family. And yet their lives are anything but normal because the mother has been battling bipolar disorder for 16 years. Next to Normal takes audiences into the minds and hearts of each character, presenting their family’s story with love, sympathy and heart.
Winner of three 2009 Tony Awards, including Best Musical Score and the 2010 Pulitzer Prize, Next to Normal was also chosen as “one of the year’s ten best shows” by critics around the country, including The Los AngelesTimes, The Washington Post, Rolling Stone and The New York Times.
Next to Normal is presented through special arrangement with Music Theatre International (MTI). All authorized performance materials are also supplied by MTI www.MTIshows.com
Audition Information Coming Soon
- Diana: Delusional, bipolar, and depressed. The sexiness of her yesterdays has only recently begun to soften. She is determined to make her family perfect but is tortured by a death in the family.
Age: 40s. Vocal range: G3-F#5
- Gabe: Diana & Dan’s son. Dashing, athletic, and bright. He is a playful man and everything a mother could imagine. Age: 18 to early 20s. Vocal range: B2-C5
- Dan: Diana’s husband. He is handsome and genuine. Though a constant in Diana’s tumultuous life, he has grown tired and weary of her antics.
Age: 40s. Vocal range: Ab2-B4
- Natalie: Diana & Dan’s troubled daughter. An accomplished pianist and hardworking student, her struggles are exacerbated by her mother’s behavior. She greatly admires Henry.
Age: late teens. Vocal range: G3-G5
- Henry: Natalie’s classmate. The all-around musician, philosopher, and slacker. He has an intoxicating capacity for sympathy and romance.
Age: late teens. Vocal range: G#2-B4
- Dr. Madden: Diana’s handsome psychiatrist. Quite assured in his practice and considered somewhat of a rock star.
Age: 30 to 40. Vocal range: A2-A4