March 16, 2019 at 7:30pm
March 17, 2019 at 3:00pm
Dick Van Dyke Auditorium at Danville High School
Directed by Jodi-Prosser Muller
Danville Symphony Orchestra Directed by Maestro Jeremy Swerling
Vocal Music Directed by Martha Lindvahl
Tickets Available Through DSO
$35-$40 Adult/$20 Student (under 18)
Music by Alan Menken
Lyrics by Howard Ashman and Tim Rice
Book by Linda Woolverton
Beauty and the Beast tells the story of a cold-blooded prince who has been magically transformed into an unsightly creature as punishment for his selfish ways. To revert into his true human form, the Beast must first earn the love of a bright, beautiful young woman whom he has imprisoned in his enchanted castle before it is too late!
Winner of the 1994 Tony Award for Best Costumes and the 1998 Laurence Olivier Award for Best New Musical, Disney’s Beauty and the Beast is adapted from Walt Disney Pictures’ Academy Award-winning 1991 animated musical film.
Disney’s Beauty and the Beast is presented through special arrangement with Music Theatre International (MTI).
All authorized performance materials are also supplied by MTI. www.MTIShows.com
- Who: Men and women for principal roles: Belle, Beast, Gaston, Cogsworth, Lumiere, and Mrs. Potts (see age ranges below)
- September 28, 6-9pm and September 29, 9am-2pm at Center Stage Rehearsal Hall at Village Mall
- September 30, 2-6pm at St. James United Methodist Church.
- Please reserve your audition time by visiting this page at SignUp.com.
- Callbacks will be October 7, 3-5pm at St. James UMC
- Who: Men, women, teens, children (as appropriate for roles) for supporting roles/ensemble
- When: November 30-December 2
- Prepare: Choose a song (does not have to be from this show) that best demonstrates your vocal ability.
- Audition Form: Download PDF
- What to Expect:
- Your audition slot is 10 minutes. Please arrive early. You may leave when your audition is finished.
- You will sing only about 32 measures (20-60 seconds) of your prepared song. Mark your sheet music ahead of time so that you can show it to the accompanist quickly. We may cut you off early. If we do, we promise it’s not because we don’t like you. We’re just moving things along quickly so that we can get to everyone.
- You may be asked to sing scales so we can assess your range.
- You will audition individually with your song and scales.
- You will read scenes from the script, either alone or with other auditionees.
- Depending on the role you are trying out for, you may have a dance/movement audition. Make sure you bring/wear comfortable shoes for your dance audition.
- Attendance at rehearsals is very important. Rehearsals will be Sunday 1-6pm, and Tuesday and Thursday 6:30-9:30pm, beginning the week of December 16 (with a break for the holidays December 23 – January 2). Come to auditions with a list of any conflicts between now and March 17, 2019. Put all this information on your audition form.
- Most of all, enjoy yourself and let your personality shine through. This is about fun and community!
- Belle: A vibrant, intelligent girl with beauty, who wants more out of the life than an ordinary existence. She is optimistic, fun-loving, caring, and eager to experience life.
Age: 16 to 25. Vocal range: E3-F5
- Beast: A Prince transformed into a terrifying beast for his lack of compassion. He is hot-tempered and commanding, but has a warm, loving heart buried far beneath his gruff exterior.
Age: 20 to 40. Vocal range: A2-F4
- Gaston: The egotistical, ultra-masculine villain determined to marry Belle. He is manipulative yet charming and earnest.
Age: 20 to 40. Vocal range: A2-E4
- Maurice: Belle’s loving, eccentric father. A child at heart and inventor in his own world.
Age: 45 to 65. Vocal range: Bb2-Db4
- Cogsworth: A tightly-wound, enchanted mantle clock and the head of the Beast’s household. He is uptight, strict, and punctual but also hard-working, faithful, and thorough.
Age: Adult. Vocal range: A2-E4
- Mrs. Potts: A warm-hearted, maternal enchanted teapot. She is loyal, caring, and playful.
Age: Adult. Vocal range: F#3-G5
- Lumiere: A suave, debonair enchanted candelabra. He is a loyal and steadfast servant.
Age: Adult. Vocal range top: F#2-F#4
- Chip: An enchanted teacup and Mrs. Potts’ darling little boy. He is innocent, playful, and bright-eyed.
Age: 7 to 14. Vocal range: A3-F5
- Babette: A saucy, enchanted feather-duster, and the object of Lumiere’s affections. She is the playful, gorgeous, seductive French maid.
Age: Adult. Vocal range: C4-F5
- Madame De La Grande Bouche: A former opera diva-turned-enchanted wardrobe. She has a caring, refined, larger than life personality.
Age: Adult. Vocal range: C#4-D5
- Lefou: Gaston’s bumbling sidekick. He is loyal, energetic, and optimistic, but not quite the brightest guy.
Age: 20 to 40. Vocal range: B2-F#4
- Monsieur D’Arque: The scheming proprietor of the local insane asylum. He is a dark, sinister villain who aides Gaston in his plot to marry Belle.
Age: 30 to 60. Vocal range: D3-A4
- Ensemble: Wolves; Enchanted Objects; Townspeople