Venue and Dates TBA
Directed by Kyle Klein II and Jodi Prosser-Muller
Ticket Information: $23 in advance or $25 at the door
$7 student – online or at door
Book by John Michael Tebelak
Music and Lyrics by Stephen Schwartz
Conceived and Originally Directed by John Michael Tebelak
Based on The Gospel According to St. Matthew
A small group of people help Jesus Christ tell different parables by using a wide variety of games, storytelling techniques and hefty doses of comic timing. An eclectic blend of songs, ranging in style from pop to vaudeville, is employed as the story of Jesus’ life dances across the stage. Dissolving hauntingly into the Last Supper and the Crucifixion, Jesus’ messages of kindness, tolerance and love come vibrantly to life.
Godspell was the first major musical theatre offering from three-time Grammy and Academy Award winner, Stephen Schwartz (Wicked, Pippin, Children of Eden), and it took the world by storm. Led by the international hit, “Day by Day,” Godspell features a parade of beloved songs, including “Prepare Ye the Way of the Lord,” “Learn Your Lessons Well,” “All for the Best,” “All Good Gifts,” “Turn Back, O Man” and “By My Side.”
Godspell is presented through special arrangement with Music Theatre International (MTI). All authorized performance materials are also supplied by MTI. www.MTIShows.com
- Who: Men, women, teens (as appropriate for roles) – no experience required
- When: Dates TBA
- Where: Backstage Rehearsal Hall at 141 N. Walnut Street, Danville
- Prepare: Choose a song (does not have to be from this show) that best demonstrates your vocal ability.
- What to Expect:
- You will sing only about 32 measures (40-60 seconds) of your prepared song. Mark your sheet music ahead of time so that you can show it to the accompanist quickly. We may cut you off early. If we do, we promise it’s not because we don’t like you. We’re just moving things along quickly so that we can get to everyone.
- You may be asked to sing scales so we can assess your range.
- You will audition individually with your song and scales.
- You will read scenes from the script, either alone or with other auditionees.
- Depending on the role you are trying out for, you may have a dance audition (usually in groups). Make sure you bring/wear comfortable shoes for your dance audition.
- Attendance at rehearsals is mandatory. Rehearsals will be Sunday afternoons, and Tuesday and Thursday evenings. Come to auditions with a list of any conflicts between now and May 19, 2024. Put all this information on your audition form.
- Most of all, enjoy yourself and let your personality shine through. This is about fun and community!
- Jesus: Charismatic and high energy, yet gentle and loving. He is the deceptively calm leader of the troupe. He is eventually betrayed by Judas and persecuted.
Vocal range: A3-G5
- John The Baptist / Judas: He possesses the attributes of two Biblical figures: he is both Jesus’ lieutenant and most ardent disciple, and also the doubter who begins to question and rebel. Like Jesus, he is also charismatic, but in an overt revolutionary way.
Vocal range: A3-G5
- Ensemble: Soloists, featured actors, and others.