May 5 & 6, 2023 at 7:30pm
May 7, 2023 at 2:30pm
The Fischer Theatre
Directed by Lisa Strain
Adult: $22 advance purchase, $25 at the door
Book by Lynn Ahrens Stephen Flaherty
Music by Stephen Flaherty
Lyrics by Lynn Ahrens
Co-Conceived by Eric Idle
Based on the works of Dr. Seuss
The Cat in the Hat tells the story of Horton, an elephant who discovers a speck of dust that contains the Whos, including Jojo, a Who child sent off to military school for thinking too many “thinks.” Horton faces a double challenge: not only must he protect the Whos from a world of naysayers and dangers, but he must guard an abandoned egg, left in his care by the irresponsible Mayzie La Bird. Although Horton faces ridicule, danger, kidnapping and a trial, the intrepid Gertrude McFuzz never loses faith in him. Ultimately, the powers of friendship, loyalty, family and community are challenged and emerge triumphant.
Seussical is presented through special arrangement with Music Theatre International (MTI). All authorized performance materials are also supplied by MTI. www.MTIShows.com
- Who: Men, women, teens, kids (as appropriate for roles) – no experience required
- When: dates to be announced.
- Where: DLO’s Backstage Rehearsal Hall at 141 N. Walnut Street, Danville
- Prepare: Script will be available for review at the front desk of the Danville Public Library in July. Choose a song (does not have to be from this show) that best demonstrates your vocal ability.
- What to Expect:
- You will sing only about 40-60 seconds of your prepared song. Mark your sheet music ahead of time so that you can show it to the accompanist quickly. We may cut you off early. If we do, we promise it’s not because we don’t like you. We’re just moving things along quickly so that we can get to everyone.
- You will be asked to sing scales so we can assess your range.
- You will read scenes from the script, either alone or with other auditionees.
- Depending on the role you are trying out for, you may have a dance audition (usually in groups). Make sure you bring/wear comfortable shoes for your dance audition.
- Attendance at rehearsals is mandatory. Rehearsals will be Sunday afternoons, and Tuesday and Thursday evenings. Come to auditions with a list of any conflicts between now and May 7, 2023. Put all this information on your audition form.
- Most of all, enjoy yourself and let your personality shine through. This is about fun and community!
- The Cat In The Hat: Our story’s omniscient narrator, he is fun loving and enjoys rhyming. Pops up throughout the story to help the audience. Wise and attentive.
Vocal range: F2-F4
- Jojo: The Mayor’s son, he is a Who that is always finding trouble. Bright, creative, and inadvertently mischievous. Possesses a wildly expansive imagination and finds solace in his friendship with Horton.
Vocal range: Ab3-C5
- Horton The Elephant: Our story’s main character, he is a compassionate and gentle elephant. Commonly misunderstood because of his larger size. He is protective and loving of all creatures in the jungle.
Vocal range: A2- F4
- Gertrude Mcfuzz: Horton’s one-feathered-tail bird neighbor. Gertrude is sweet and timid. Though kind and loyal, she is also self-conscious of her shortfalls.
Vocal range: F3-F5
- Mayzie Labird: The most beautiful bird in all of the jungle. Oblivious to her self-centered ways, she relies on her talent of manipulation, and intoxicating beauty, to navigate her way through life.
Vocal range: G3-Eb5
- The Sour Kangaroo: The “leader” of the jungle. She is loud, brassy, and stubbornly set in her ways. A caring mother, but unabashedly sassy and soulful.
Vocal range top: F#3-F5
- Jungle Creatures: The Wickersham Brothers, Yurtle The Turtle, Bird Girls
- The Whos: Mr. Mayor, Mrs. Mayor, General Genghis Khan Schmitz